DISABLED VETERANS EXEMPTION
Any Veteran with a service-related disability of at least 30% certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Applicants will need to provide the following:
- a copy of their DD214 that has been certified,
- Disability Certification letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs for the current assessment year.
- An unmarried surviving spouse may also qualify for this exemption. The home must be owner-occupied and the value cannot be more than $750,000.
The Disabled Veterans’ Exemption provides an annual exemption of:
- With a disability of 30% to 49% it is $2,500 off the total assessed value,
- disability of 50% to 69% is $5,000 off the total assessed value,
- with a disability of 70% or more up to $250,000 off the assessed value.
The deadline for filing is October 1st. Homeowners can apply for this exemption at our office or the applications can be printed from the DuPage County web site.